www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:49 am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:39 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Finally got my CP pistons at the weekend :D . Quality looks top notch with the pistons, pins and rings being supplied in foam cutouts in a stout box. The service from Atomic Speedware I have also found to be very good. They marked down the value to help minimise VAT at this end. No duty payable :) only VAT :( Only downside is there was no spec sheet or ring gapping info supplied so a mail has been sent. Data: 86mm Std Piston weight 340g, Gudgeon Pin 100g, Rings 20g. Weight is slightly up on the 324g quoted by CP so there may have been some slight design mods as they have only just added OEM Std piston sizes to their range.

SRBPower contacted me to advise my RPS carbon clutch has been finished and should be in their hands this week. RPS have revised the design slightly and changed the spec of the carbon so hopefully this will be every bit as good as the Tilton carbon clutch I was originally intending to get until I discovered they'd discontinued manufacture :( Service from SRB has also been very good.

Ferrea 1mm O/S valves, springs and spring seats have been added to the latest Fensport shipment so should be her in the next 7-10 days.

This completes all the important core internals. Next big ticket item will be the turbo but I'll keep that a surprise for now :twisted:

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:28 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
:shock: Sounds good Don.
You doing anything with the crank??

ST205 WRC #0002249

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:48 am 
Club Staff

Twill be TTE Daz, along with rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:32 pm 
Group N

:shock: OUUU AHHHH your holding out on us Don :lol: :lol:
What other goodies will this WMD contain?? :? :?

ST205 WRC #0002249

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:36 pm 
Club Staff

Spec not completely finalised but I'll let you know as it comes together. Basically aiming for 450-500bhp with a flattish torque spread for driveability. This should keep everything well within the limits of the stock g/box and diffs.

Tracking a Four at this sort of power requires lots of mods in order to manage the heat. Gareth destroyed his similar power engine at Cadwell a while back so I'm taking a cautious approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:03 am 
Junior WRC

Surely, any power increase will need supporting mod’s..

You would think that this would be implemented, but far to often overlooked, why i ask myself, probably has a lot to do with so many failures

the main difference between a track day car, and a true race prepared car...don't you think Don.

how's your build going...much progress..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:23 am 
Club Staff

Some pics of the engine build to show there is progress being made!

86.0mm CP pistons and 600+bhp Carillo rods being used on the bottom end to give a C/R of 8.2. The block has been deburred and the area around the water pump cleaned up to enhance flow in that area with the electric pump. The TTE crank, rods and pistons have all been fully balanced. Bearing clearances are also larger than the recommended book figures to minimise frictional losses but not large enough to cause oil pressure problems. The oil/water heat exchanger will also be removed along with the heater feed and the manifold heater.

The head (which was originally ported by Fraser McKellar ex-TTE) has been further modified with larger valve seat inserts to accomodate Ferrea 1mm oversize inlet and exhaust valves. Solid cam followers (shimless) are also employed to allow higher rpm. Inlet ports have been deliberately roughened to promote better fuel/air mixing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:35 am 
Junior WRC

It's almost a shame all that top notch work will be hidden and get dirty later on... Looks very nice, respect. 8)

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:48 am 
Club Staff

Finally got my Corolla WRC exhaust manifold back from machining/welding plus the TIAL 40mm 1.2bar External Wastegate.

This is all proven on track and drag strip by Tony Charles Fensport modified ST205. Two views of Tony's installation is shown at the end of the photo sequence below.

The OEM Toyota manifold is known to increasingly restrict performance above ~500bhp and the WRC manifold effectively eliminates that problem. I bought the manifold from Fensport over two years ago as an 'investment' as I didn't have any immediate plans to rebuild my engine. They are now no longer available so I'm glad I had the foresight to buy it! There are MR2 related alternatives but none are as neat as the WRC.

The Corolla uses an internal wastegate so the manifold had to be modified to accept the TIAL external wastegate. The intention is to plumb the W/G into the bottom of the downpipe rather than go the the 'screamer' pipe. There are too many potential issues with noise etc. to make that a realistic option. The W/G pipe will require a flexible section to ensure that expansion doesn't damage the downpipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:46 am 
Group N

Frankly, thats awesome. Is it possible to flute the inlet manifold runners to promote swirl in the airflow which would also help air fuel mixing? (theory straight from the top of my head btw)

www.mcnab-racing.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:35 pm 
Club Staff

The inlet manifold runner design is quite critical in determining the engine characteristics. For example the relatively long runners on the OEM design assists bottom end torque and responsiveness. By contrast the short runner design of the side feed Magnus Motorsport intake manifold used by the Fensport Gen7 Celica and the Engine Logics manifold used in the Toyauto ST205 work well at high rpm but don't have as much 'punch' at the bottom end of the rev range.

As you probably know, the Formula 1 guys have, up until the beginning of this year used variable length inlet trumpets and even now they change the trumpet length to re-optimise the engine characteristics from circuit to circuit. Trumpet/Bellmouth design can also help with optimising the flow with an elliptical geometry being ideal.

I'm not sure what impact fluting the intake runners would have. I suspect that intake velocity would be lower and this may manifest itself as slow or laggy throttle response.

I've yet to make a decision on what design of intake manifold I'll use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:16 pm 
Junior WRC

Hi Don.

A few quick questions.

Cylinder block, was it chemical cleaned, water ways look a funny colour, red-ish / brown colour, this oxide, rust etc...? If so why.

as for the F1 tap, don't realy think the two engine have any similarities what so ever do you…apart from maybe the toyota logo....

F1 setup would cost more than the hole track toy weapon you building.lol

long oval runner with individual throttle body setup, seem to off good all round performance, velocity kept high under low throttle., very responsive, good off boost. very trackable.

a complete intake system, with 4 throttle bodies, sensor, plenum, etc should only cost about £3500, pretty cheap for such a good bolt on upgrade, much cheaper than F1.

Rs500 and alikes, using 8 port injection, at different lengths from cyl ports, allowed some advantages for low down power, as well as high rev with cams..

Still very surprised that you gone for un-equal length cast manifold, ever engine builder i know has something to say about such fall backs.

what's you power goal, around the 400 mart..

The electric water pump, is a good move, but no water manifold, so its all going though the one man gallery, umm..

what choice of clutch did you go with, and have you choosen you ecu..

will you be installing a cage , as well as welding some of the suspension points up..i notice they come apart after heavy usage..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:39 pm 
Junior WRC

just though i would post this..

a typical engine build, would mean all water ways spotless, anything short of this, could cause failure later, its something i don't like to take chances with.
Clean water ways means better conduction of heat,,.quite important , don't you think....more so with a 3sgte engine build..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:35 pm 
Group N

datajon wrote:
a typical engine build, would mean all water ways spotless

Where would one go to get a service like that?
And how hard could one expect to be fisted for it? :shock:

Blitz Nur-spec SS backbox
Apexi Air Filter

ST205 Front Calipers - Yes, really!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:01 am 
Group N

Must add my appluse as a non tech as well Don, rebuild looks as close to factory built as new as you could get.
Would agree on the flat torque curve as a top target from my limited track experience. Turbo lag reduced to the minimum combined with max gain on the boost demand. Youv'e already proved 340 to very effective another IOO on that should be more than enough.

After that it must be all about power delivery to the wheels and set-up of which you already have good knowledge.

Perhaps even a further diet for Stormy Blue ?

On a lighter note>>>>

"Next big ticket item will be the turbo but I'll keep that a surprise for now"

Funny but one seemed to be missing off a certain Repsol Works Car at recent event I attended :wink:

Cheers Nigel C.