www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:20 am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:07 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
:D I'll be having a punt in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7zSVqM6 ... re=related at the Silverstone circuit on 2nd Nov. Pretty cool that a GT4DC member won it! :D :D :D

Check out Lexus UK on facebook for competition details. Any pointers on driving it?! :lol:

∞ 1995 ST205 JDM ∞

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 pm 
Junior WRC

V1 Rotate V2 wrote:
Check out Lexus UK on facebook for competition details. Any pointers on driving it?! :lol:

Drive it like you never get the chance to drive one again. ;)

http://www.noritoy.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:50 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
you barsteward!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:53 pm 
Club Staff

Jammy sod :lol: ..........remember to take lots of pics!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:20 pm 
Group N

:lol: It's mental, I'll make sure lots of shots are taken. I had a phone interview earlier today after I was emailed to say I'd been selected for the finals. Mentioned i was a GT4DC member and yacked on about my ST205 for a wee bit, must have sealed the deal :lol:

Wonder how much driving I'll get to do. You know I'll give it all there is to give (as long as I'm allowed!) but hell, i'd be ecstatic just to push it into the pit lane! :D

∞ 1995 ST205 JDM ∞

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:43 pm 
Club Staff

Saw and heard a road going LFA at the Goodwood FOS and it sounds so quiet on tickover....wolf in sheeps clothing :twisted: Enjoy the day. Shame you are there on the 2nd. I'll be there from 3rd to 6th for the Formula Ford Walter Hayes Trophy. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the skid marks :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:54 pm 
Group N

Right lads, basically as you know I entered a competition to win a shot in the LFA never really thinking I'd get to the final, let alone win. Anyway, win I did and here's how it went.

:D :D :D AWESOME!!!!

I was a little over enthusiastic and got there an hour early so had time to banter around with the Lexus people and film production team. Great people and one gent in particular had been involved in the development of the LFA since its conception in 2000. While we were waiting for our slots in the ISF and the LFA (yes both cars! :dance: ) there was a row of 4 old school Sega Rally video games with seat, gears, handbrake, the lot and of course i got to thrash the Sega Rally Celica GT4 around :woot: There was a competition between the three of us there who won the comp and a Lexus chap - course I chose the GT4 and won the Sega competition with the fastest lap and got a bottle of champers for it too Lots of banter about cheating by the fact I own one.

Into the ISF first which simply put was brutal. Mega power and immense brakes!!! We got about 15-20 minutes each with an instructor going round the track at Silverstone, us driving. The Silverstone track we drove was the full F1 track which if you know Silverstone, you know is a huge privilege as they only open the full thing up about once a year. I was probably only getting the hang of it towards the end as it's such a huge track with tons of corners to learn but so glad we went out in the ISF before the LFA :twisted:

We each had to do a TV style interview before we embarked on the driving and as I was there first it meant i got to drive the LFA first... Now, I wish i was better with words to describe how the LFA was as an experience for both writing this and to have been able to respond better to the interview after I got out of the car! Probably sounded pretty simple but who cares! It was a little different to when I went to the Blyton Park OC gig in an Evo X as you could imagine.

Took the first lap fairly slowly but by the fourth I was pushing it as hard as i could with my limited talent, much to the vocalisation of the Lexus people :mrgreen: I had to though, I'll never get to do it again!

It was video'd with two cameras, one on me and one looking out and the final cut will be released as a Lexus 90 second promo vid next week. Sweet.

Here's a pic or two

After I finished I was taken out for a 'Hot Lap' or two with the LFA driver, he was a F3 driver called Charlie - all i know is he came 2nd in the Australian F3 Championship and the other LFA driver was called Ben, who came 1st! So there was some good friendly competition between the two. I've never had to hang on for dear life so much ever in my life!!!! It's as though he'd had his fear gland removed... mental!! Just went to show how utterly gash i was in comparison... desperate for some more practice

Anyway, I'm back in Notts now, still shaking... it was insane and the LFA was literally all it was hyped up to be and then some and the NOISE!!!! :D An experience I'll never forget.

PS - Note my shirt ;)

∞ 1995 ST205 JDM ∞

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:11 pm 
Club Staff

I can't find the "ban this lucky sod" button at the moment but rest assured the moment I do you will be on the receiving end of it :lol:

Looks like a cracking day was had by all

Not jealous at all
GIT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:49 pm 
Club Staff

That looks awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:20 am 
Club Staff

Great report! Do you get a copy of the video? The two F3 pilots must have been Ben Barker and Charlie Hollings. I'd love to see them loon out in the LFA round Silverstone GP circuit :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:20 pm 
Group N

Yeah i got a copy of the whole LFA part :D Gotta wait for permission to upload it so the whole world can hear what an utter bender i sounded!

Yes they're the chaps, Charlie came second to Ben in the Aus sector of the F3 so i believe. Charlie was a very nice guy indeed and took the time to help explain to me some of the mechanics of cornering, energy and pitch control. Great guy, just wish I knew the circuit better (watching F1 isn't quite enough) :)

If you search on YouTube you can find some other lads from Lexus having the exact same experience with Charlie driving. Tag LFA - Silverstone.

GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

∞ 1995 ST205 JDM ∞

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:23 pm 
Junior WRC

Glad it was a good day for ya - bet the GT4 feels like a bag of *bleep* now :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:12 pm 
Group N

I thought that's how i'd feel mate, really did. Thing is i don't... the GT4 is still pretty raw but just can't compare to something like the LFA - that was like something from the future that could read your mind as you threw it around the track. Fecking wish I'd bought Forza or something similar just to learn the corners in some limited fashion as I was pushing it as hard as i could but just didn't know (aside from seeing F1) how tight corners were till i was on top of them.

One major impact this has had on me though, and was initiated by driving a mates Evo X at the GT4OC Blyton Park event, is that I really want to learn how to drive properly - as in track properly. Been looking into driving coaching etc and it's all way too expensive as far as i can tell, sadly. Did think about buying an old Celica (or similar) and look at the TSS, but it's all very well unless i learn how to drive on a track properly.

∞ 1995 ST205 JDM ∞

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:35 pm 
Junior WRC

Just do it a lot, get experience? A cheap 'slow' car is perfect for that, much easier to learn to follow the race lines imo.

Awesome event mate, that photo is cool too!

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:04 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
I would highly recommend (from Personal experience) a Car Limits Activity day for starters - only £49!
http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldactivity&month=20120101
Then do one of there Airfield Training days
http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldtraining

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/