www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
whats involved in the headlight delete, is there some form of ram air ducting or do you literally just take the headlight out. Ive seen a few that had a form of plastic/FG insert with a hole in it replacing the headlight

marcus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
You just remove the bumper, remove the headlight and then refit the bumper.

This is the quick and ugly approach though, it works fine for airflow but looks scruffy as you can see all the wires etc through the hole - I get alot of "someone's stolen your headlight mate" remarks! It's only short term though, as you will see from one of my earlier posts I am currently having the C-One bumper off the JSP car sprayed up and this has a custom made fibreglass duct that looks alot more professional. I'm planning on leaving the duct painted white so it ties up with my wheels and interior, and also so it looks more balanced visually with the headlight on the other side.

The other way of doing it which is tidy is to remove the existing light, stick it in the oven on a low temp for a few mins to soften the sealant, then remove the glass and all of the internals. Spray the inside of the light casing black and install mesh across the front in place of the glass. Cheap and easy to do but tidy looking result.

Now back home and mapped to 531bhp & 411lb/ft - that's enough power for now! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:58 pm 
Group N

Sirius wrote:
Looks really smart Edd.

Looking to get the same done once my car is mechanically sorted. Before I spend more pennies on a respray. :)

Thanks Mike, it was well worth the £20 spent, especially as that included a quick clean of the interior as well! Parked up on my road next to various swanky new Mercs and BMWs last night it look as high a quality car as any of them :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:59 pm 
Group N

Here's a few pics of the track day the other week:

Also you can see the body roll quite well in this last picture from the rear, hoping moving the ARB onto the stiffest setting will help with this, and also thinking some stiffer rear springs - currently 8kg front and 5kg rear, I'm thinking of increasing the rear to 6.5kg (20% less stiff than front, same ratio as stock springs and TRD coilovers).

Any other advice on reducing body roll appreciated? I'm also still on stock bushes - how much will going poly help?

Also looking at the pics and the fact it still understeers more than I'd like I'm thinking I should increase the front camber a little?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:01 pm 
Junior WRC

what camber you running? i have 2.4neg front and 1.3neg on rear

http://www.brooks-brd.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/Brooks.Racing.Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:22 pm 
Group N

I will have a look at the print out next time I'm at home and let you know

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:19 pm 
Group N

Bit of an update :)

A few weeks ago I took the C-One front bumper and Eurou skirts to my mate's workshop to have them repaired and sprayed. They initially looked in pretty sound condition overall, but as he prepped them he found loads of micro cracks in them, so he painstakingly ground these out to a "V" fibreglassed them flush and skimmed them. He also installed metal reinforcing plates behind in several weak points, such as where the central bars to the upper, lower and side vents of the C-One bumper have been removed. I was never a fan of these additional bars and think the bumper looks way better without them, more simple and less fussy.

I then went back there this weekend to get them fitted. I ordered some nice OEM looking grill mesh over a week before (for the main bumper openings), however annoyingly the company failed to deliver it in time as promised :rant:

Everything was a really good fit, we bonded on the skirts with screws in the wheel arches at the ends, front bumper was a straightforward fit apart from having the cut a little metal off the support brackets for my oil cooler. When I take off the bumper again to fit the grills I will adapt these brackets so that the cooler sits a bit further back as there is loads of space and its right up against the bumper opening so I'm worried it will rub over time.

So all done for the day it was rolled out of the workshop and this is what she now looks like. She is pretty dirty in the pics apart from the new bits, but colour match is spot on, will get some propper pics next time she is cleaned properly:

Really happy with the look, it is more aggressive and also the skirts actually have the visual effect of making the arches/car look considerably wider, but I think the look is also fairly subtle in black. By the time I add the grill mesh and maybe paint the coolers black so they are less visible I'm hoping it will have a quality fairly OEM look, rather than a chav'd up boy racer one which is definitely not what I want. Overall what I am trying to do inside and out with the car is make it look like a more modern and aggressive sports car, I certainly think it looks at least 10 years younger than it is.

Also pleased with my decision to keep the headlight air duct in white, I think this balances up the look off the front better with the light on the other side, and the white ties in with my wheels and interior nicely.

Next job on the outside will be to sort the rear end as the stock bumper looks too high next to the Eurou skirts. I have a good condition black rear bumper with SS-iii rear spats on it, and an RT-Performance rear diffuser to fit which will help the look, but I'm thinking these may not be deep enough? I am considering a Zapt rear lip with the middle section cut out and a diffuser installed in its place, like this but imagine the fussy centre bits removed and replaced with a diffuser - opinions?

I have also been in talks with Ray at RT-Performance about the possibility of them producing some OEM look 20mm wider front wings, which would allow the fitment of the same width and offset wheels as is possible on the back, this should allow us to improve the look and stance of our cars whilst retaining the front and rear track width difference, which should improve handling over just fitting rear spacers which can contribute to understeer without making similar track increases on the front. I will start an interest thread on these soon as I think they could be really popular :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:25 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Looks smart Edd.

I agree the air intake looks nice(r) with it is a contrasting colour.

You need a new number plate now! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:29 pm 
Group N

Yeah I know, it's only about 6-months old and its de-laminated already - shite quality!