www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:03 pm

Post subject: Classic Car Insurance
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Hey guys, I was just wondering what the deal is with car insurance. The st185 isnt going to be my daily driver and is basically just going to be insured to get me to/from track days and occasional road fun/use! :D

Anyone got any tips for getting cheap quotes, It seems that classic car insurance is definitely the obvious choice but im new to finding this kind of policy. Are there any companies that are particularly cheap? Anyone got good experiences? Ive had a quote of £260 from footman james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:17 pm 
Group N

I've got mine on a multi-car deal with my daily drive Astra and my wife's Focus. Worked out cheap, as stated mileage is low for the Four. I was fortunate that I ended up with good no claims on both, as this is per car not owner (bizarrely)... With Admiral btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:02 pm 
Club Staff

I've had my ST205 insured with AON Classic (now Footman James) for quite a few years now. Your quote of £260 will be hard to beat I think. With a few extras mine is £320 and I'm ancient and in a good postcode. I had similar quotes from others but decided to stay where I was.

Hope that helps.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:48 am 
Group N

I have real issues with admiral to be honest.I'm with them at the moment and theyre expensive for me. My policy was up for renewal with them last august but due to my job I got crash drafted out of the country until march.when I came back my renewal was £900.i phones them and they basically said tough luck! lol.got quotes from other companies recently of around £500 for the fn2.multi car quotes from them are around £1400.it seems cheaper to have 2 separate policies for myself.lol

Also just been reading up on the mot rules having changed.think I'm going to risk the decat and see how I get on.anyone had any experience with fixed back bucket seats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:55 am 
Group B

Car Model: None
The biggest problem is that generally you need to start with zero no claims on a second car.
I've had 2 policies running for years with full no claims on both, but when I wanted to insure a third so I could drive it to events I was back in the same boat with quotes of £700 ish even on limited milage.

I finally went through REIS who do a lot of insurance for MSA competition cars and was given full no claims straight away as an 'introductory bonus' and am currently paying about £240 for third party only, 2000 road miles, any mods I like. The only requirement is to hold a competition licence or be a member of an MSA club and do a few small events per year.

Your quote of £260 seems very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 am 
Club Staff

Yeah, I checked out the multicar policies and they were either more expensive or wouldnt cover all my vehicles.

I used to run my old ST205 decated but I was fortunate to have a friendly MOT guy so saved me the hassle of refittng the cat each year. I would probably fit a motorsport cat now but be aware they're not exaxtly cheap. I know people with fixed back bucket seats and they seem to be OK.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:00 am 
Group B

Car Model: None
jgtcracer wrote:

Also just been reading up on the mot rules having changed.think I'm going to risk the decat and see how I get on.anyone had any experience with fixed back bucket seats?

Up to 95 I think is a grey area with decat and I hear different stories from each tester. Last one I heard is that for that age if they fail a cat test first time they're allowed to do a non-cat test. Previous year & different tester they made me pass a cat test so I had to fit a cat.

I think fixed back is OK but the driver seat must be able to adjust backwards & forewards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:34 pm 
Group N

my crx previously was stripped with just fixed back seats and didnt seem to have any problems. Looking forward to the opportunity to meet you all, the car is getting a rather large test run from home in the borders to work in fareham, I really really hope there are no problems!lol