www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:42 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Hey guys,

I've noticed about 3 months ago a bit of a grining sound coming from the rear as i come to a stop.

On closer inspection it appears that the rear pads i was running were slightly narrower material than OEM pads and therefore the new OEM pads i fitted were running over the bit of surface rust on the inside edge of the disc where the old pads weren't touching them.

So i put the grinding sound down to that and have since intended to change the rear discs.

Anyway this weekend i went to get my front geo done as i'd fitted a lower brace and on leaving the tyre centre i've noticed a new sound from the back.

Now i know the tyre place didnt touch my rear wheels and the car had a new Diff mount back in late 2009.

So im wondering if the new sound and the older sound are one and the same problem and the diff is perhaps on its way out?

I've only ever broken a diff once before but that was a total exposion of the diff because i had fitted a 4.0 1UZ to a MA61 Supra whose diff was over 20years old and ever meant to have the torque of a 2.8 going through it.

I've never had a diff wear out through general age before....

Anyone know what kinda noises they make when they are dying and how long the diffs last?

Cheers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:03 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Normally the Torsen diff just wears and becomes less effective. I have seen pics of a Torsen diff which appeared to have broken the hypoid gears and punched a hole in the rear casing but I've no idea what caused the failure. If you are trying to pin down the source of an odd noise I'd find someone with one of these remote switchable microphones and headset. They are good at locating noisy (worn) wheel bearings.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:45 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Cool, will do :) Cheers for the tip!