www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:26 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Looking for some advice on patents,how to get one, searched the www but just seems like other people/company's trying to fleece you on your ideas its like a mine field so if any one has had or sorted a patent i would like to know
about the pros and cons, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:25 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
The general advice I've had in the past is that your patent is only as good as your bank balance. Patents are not policed by any organisation so if someone infringes your patent it is up to you to take court action. Since these things are normally highly technical, you're looking at big money for expert witnesses, top lawyers etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:31 pm 
Group N

That explains all the company s ive come across wanting to get you on board so they get the big cut if it really takes off,cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:36 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
you can buy patents on the internet but do not touch them they are not worth the paper they are written on, there not cheap either they come ino various stages the cheapest being a patent for this country then europe then the world basically. patents have to be incredibly detailed so if you are patenting a design everything has to be labelled in full. even with one if you only get a cheap patent if somebody likes the idea they can manufacture abroad and you stuffed. best thing to do with our lass did is go to a solicitor that deals with patents, they are actually cheaper than the companies who offer there services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
One thing you can you can do is send yourself the designs by recorded delivery.
This gives you a date and proof of design.

It's by no means a fail safe method but it's very useful if you have to go to court!

...a little trick that musicians do when writing songs as proof of ownership :wink:

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:14 pm 
Club Staff

You always used to able to store them in the bank too. Can,t remember what the service was called but they would lock a signed parcel away in a safe for you

As previously mentioned patents are,t that useful unless it is a corker on some think that will sell like hotcakes. In my field electronics) it's mostly a cudos thing for designers and a blocking attempt to get one over competitors. See all the rumpus betwixt apple, google, samsung, htc et al

I'm ashamed to admit a couple of patents with my name on them through various companies i've worked for
I do know an intellectual property patent attourney if that's the line you are looking at