www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Pearl
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:53 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185
Got some more work done on Pearl this weekend. Nick had started reassembling the front end, mounting in the various radiators and brackets.

I popped over after laying down the PVA on the moulds to tackle the exhaust system which I thought was just cut at the rear after the previous owner removed the tip. Low and behold, the idiots tried to remove the pipe work just after the muffler with a sabre saw, basically leaving the whole rear section an absolute mess to clean up !@#$

Easiest thing to do will be to source a whole rear muffler section as there is too much work to fix it all up grrr. Luckily I know where a whole muffler system is and the owner has kindly said I can take the lot :) Will get some pics of the mess later.

Anyway, back to the front end. Firstly I used some polyurethane to cover the weld holes and a horizontal gap that toyota normally urethanes. Got to get it back to what it was.

Then we looked at the other brackets at the front of the car. There is a vertical support for the horizontal plastic trim that was crumpled in the crash. I had a replacement one from a standard GT Four but the support is different on the RC. The vertical portion allows for mounting the water to air heat exchanger so we decided to take the good horizontal portion and put it on the RC vertical support.

Nick drilled out the spots welds for the brackets and I welded the non crumbled piece back to the RC vertical support. Had to use Nick's saw horse as a temp welding station lol.

Got a couple of spots on with with the tig and that was that :) Gave it a brush down and painted it black to protect the exposed metal.

The drivers side guard also had a crumbled bracket and some slight panel work to remedy. Nick got on with bending the vertical lip which was pushed back and I got on with prepping the bracket and guard for welding.

I had previously removed these brackets from some NA guards so I could make moulds for the wide wide body guards for the Elephant. The plan was to fix the crumbled bracket, so as I had my moulds, time to repair the guard.

Original bracket on the left, replacement on the right.

Hmm.. a lovely twisted mess

But this is better

And a bunch of clamps to hold it all into place while I weld. Of note, while I have a Mig, I use the Tig as I don't have gas for the Mig yet. Panel steel isn't easy to Tig as the steel just burns up any time I put some current in, and in this case, I managed to get some spots down to hold it together.

And the front end starting to look like a car again.

Pearl's front end is pretty much fixed up now. I had some fibreglass copies of the RC bonnet and bumper made for Pearl so it can pretty much go all back together.

Things to do:
- install RC bumper support properly (that bolt is somewhere..)
- fix the wiring loom which goes to the alternator
- install headlights, plastic trim, etc
- reinstall various brackets, components, airbox, overflow bottle (need to remove the rad it seems - not much room around that area) around the engine bay which we disassembled to do the repair
- cut various holes into the bonnet and bumper for mounting accessories, trim etc.
- buy some mesh and poly into the various vents/holes
- install some replacement under body panels under the front end
- maybe fix the saggy front and rear engine mounts
- scavenge the exhaust to fix the rear section of the muffler system
- re- install the interior
- fix the drivers seat foam and a leather patch to cover the hole

Not sure if I want to spend money on painting the front end to be perfectly honest. I just want to get rid of the car and push it off. I may paint it if I bother to keep it as a run around, but we'll see.

I'll calculate the total cost thus far and see if it is worth keeping. The notchy gear engagement is a bit annoying, but I'll try some fixes before I remove the short shifter kit and replace it with something smoother.
For a moment I was thinking of breaking the car as the exhaust system issue was looking to cost far too much to repair.

"I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:00 am 
Group N

4 July 2015

Have bothered to dedicate some time to Pearl while my fibrglass guards dry. I have a list of things to do and so time to tick them off and get Pearl back on the road.

Main mission is to fix up the exhaust system due to the issues previously mentioned, and while I was under the car, Nick worked on the front end. I got him to move the sugar cube around due to some clutch change issues. Here is the wear on the cube.

Nick also started drilling the various holes in the bumper for mounting.

I finally got the exhaust out.

As you can see, the previous owner removed the resonator and left a big mess.

And here is the aborted attempt at cutting through the pipe just after the muffler.

I was rounding the nuts-bolts which held the muffler sections together. They were well and truly rust solide. I had to take an angle grinder and cut sections out to get the nuts and bolts out.

Removed the rear brace under the diff yoke. Took a while and a lot of torque due the bolts being corroded. With the muffler out of the way, I managed to get some lube on to the bolt threads from the reverse and worked the bolts in and out to clear the rust debris between the threads. Cleaned up the bolts and the threads in the subframe once the bolts were out.

Time to fix the wiring over the head. Originally the wiring loom was just wrapped up in electrical tape. I removed the tape and cleaned up the wiring a bit using some wax and grease remover.

Then I positioned the wiring into the spare loom plastic I pulled from an NA at the scrap yard.

And now the wiring is neatly routed

During the day we did some minor checks for the warrent of fitness (WOF).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:00 am 
Group N

5 July 2015

Today was spent cleaning up the interior and doing minor stuff.
- Tightened down the spoiler and the boot trim on. Was missing some clips for the plastic nearest the hinges as they had rusted out, so I'll need to find some extra clips.
- Put a rubber washer (again scavanged from the scrapyard) under the rear washer nozzle as that was the cause of a leak into the boot.
- Started reassembling the interior at the rear of the car.
- Vacuumed the seats of the dog hair which was embedded into the fabric. Undecided if I will bother steam cleaning, may do as Nick has a steam cleaner.

Nick kept reassembling the front end, doing minor spray and touch ups. He connected up the horns, they didn't work. Relay was clicking so he made a new loom and beep beep, they work. He painted the welded guard panels for some protection with some 040 white spray paint. Looks a bit naff next to the pearl white, but at least it is protected. He fitted the guard and liner on the passenger side.

Front end is looking a lot better though

Interior is also coming together.

Nick noticed a broken wire on the AFM plug. I disassembled the plug so I could do a solder repair, but the copper is too corroded so I'll have to find a new plug *sigh. More and more minor issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:40 pm 
Group N

It's been nearly a year since I've done an update.

Been pretty busy with work and while I do work on the cars on occasion, sometimes it's pretty hard to get to writing out updates to my normal level of detail as they can be quite time consuming.

Had some very good progress recently, so I thought I'd better provide some updates.

6 July 2015

So a quick attempt at a solder job left me with less copper than I started with. Rather disappointing really.

Taking some Project Elephant wiring, I found a plug wire connector which was the same as the AFM plug wire with the same wire colour and trimmed back the AFM wire.

Then after measuring the wire lengths, I crimped the wires together. The crimp was then covered with heatshrink, wire connector inserted back in to the plug and loom wrapped back up.

As I posted in Project Elephant, I got the GT4A back from the panel beaters on the 10th July. Understandably, it meant Pearl needed to be stored outside.

19 July 2015

Spent some more time on Pearl testing electrics.

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:42 pm 
Group N

August 2015

Sometimes I have to head up to get parts for Pearl. Found this monstrosity. I wasn't able to get many parts this time around.

Being under the car, I found that the engine was sitting lower than it should be, allowing the gearbox transfer case to sit on the front cross member. Got some new engine mounts to fix that.

Decided to sort out the exhaust system. I did consider getting an ebay special, but after some research and learning about fitment issues, I decided to fab up my own exhaust system.

A friend of mine had a parts car which I was able to get a free custom 2.5" fabricated exhaust system from. I had bought a RPS muffler for $70 for this project, but with the cut up exhaust system, I had the opportunity to make up something a little more special.

I ended up having to get under this GT Four and cut the exhaust system out as the exhaust shop had welded it in, without flanges. Annoying to say the least, but hey, when it's a free exhaust system, you can't be too fussy in some work to get it.

23 August 2015

Time to get some new engine mounts in. Stock replacements only, couldn't justify Toyota new or solid urethane bushes.

As you can see, the old mounts look pretty worn out.

Pulled the engine subframe and cross member out and gave them a scrub and clean

Look much better

Old mounts vs new

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:42 pm 
Group N

25/26 August 2015

Exhaust clean up time. As I had to cut that exhaust system out of the parts car, I had to clean up and start planning how to get it in installed in Pearl

As you can see, it was weathered and they had mig welded everything together

And I had to make my own little mess of the piping which needed to be cut off

Interesting that they had crushed the pipe, press fitted, then done a lap weld vs a butt weld.

More mig welding to clean up / remove

Taking a stripping disc, I started cleaning up the exhaust system. I was pleasantly surprised to find the pipe still in good condition. Nice thickwall pipe was used.

Side by side comparison of the mid pipe

So I'm the Vice President of the New Zealand GT-Four Owners Club. The Club president came down for a weekend and I got him around to Nick's place to visit Pearl and Elephant. He was loving the fibreglass parts! Couldn't believe how light the bonnet was!

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:43 pm 
Group N

September 2015

More exhaust stripping and clean up.

For ease of installation of the exhaust back in to Pearl, I decided to add flanges to the exhaust. I took the time to measure the location of the flanges relative to the original exhaust.

Tig time..

Not too bad a job

Took me quite a while to get the angles of the exhaust correct.

Had to cut sections and weld the length and angle back in.

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:43 pm 
Group N

October 2015

As Pearl is at Nick's, I had to load up the wagon and get my tools over. Lots of crawling underneath the car on cold and rough concrete, moving exhaust pipe and flanges around to get the correct fitment.

As you can see, getting the rear exhaust big bore in the right position meant a S bend.

And some manipulation on the axle stands

Spacing the custom mid pipe was a bit of a pain, especially as it wasn't exactly the same shape as the original.

Slowly but surely, the exhaust system came together. And yes, all done outside. Spot weld bits in, disassemble, run some beads and reinstall. This happened A LOT!

Some times I got a fine day, so was able to progress. Sometimes I was working late in to the night, wearing thermals and trying to push through. This was a half decent day. Too many parts..

More tig work

And finally finished. A spray of heat temp paint and all ready to go back in after a month of work.

Exhaust tree.. everyone should get one haha. Back section getting some more welding done. Finish the flange to the centre muffler and weld on the support rods on the back big bore

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:44 pm 
Group N

November 2015

Got the neighbour to skip the discs at his workshop for free. Used my old rear discs, but they were the wrong size for the RC. So many little differences

Needed to get the bonnet, bumper and guards painted, so loaded up parts and took them to the panel beater.

And why is the RC called Pearl? Because of the pearl paint :)

Needed to repair the drivers seat. I found a Celica up at Pick A Part with the confetti pattern, but the drivers seat was pretty crap. So I decided to take the passenger seat and swap material and possibly foam over.

Following pictures go through the disassembly and reassembly of the seat step by step. Will add little notes where I think appropriate.

Take headrests off.

You're left with bracket attached to the main plastic cover

Disassemble underside of seat

Seat bolster and material destroyed from years of use

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:45 pm 
Group N

Main plastic cover needs to be moved up to unclip from the seat back

Remove the brackets first

Note locations of the clips

Back of seat and actuators to adjust the seat

Remove hog pins. Note, all hog pins were pried apart for reuse later

Pull through cable

Remove hog pins which hold in the rubber hoses which hold the seat material in place.

Unbolt the seat back

Remove the ajustment dials on the side

Use a screwdriver or two to pop the clips.

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:46 pm 
Group N

Remove the tilt handle

Remove screw under the tilt handle

Remove side cover

Remove screws for side cover, belt buckle, undo seatbelt sensor wire

Remove bolts either side to remove seat base

Then you are left with the seat frame

Remove hog pins to release seat base material

Unlatch the plastic side and rear clips

More hog pins to remove

Now the base is free

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:46 pm 
Group N

Remove hog pins to side. Note, the rubber tubing holds the material in place. Remove hog pins, do not cut the rubber tubing.

The seat back material is held in with metal rods using hog pins. Remove carefully and yes, they are a pain in the rear to reach.

Seat back is 5.4kg with motors, no foam or material. Heavy suckers

As I was swapping material from Passenger seat to drivers seat, here are photos of the passenger seat disassembly

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:47 pm 
Group N

Headrests. Remove screws inside rubber grommet. Note the different colours and length

Pull plastic cover down

Unclip plastic tabs

Remove material

Remove foam

The seat back foam is the same between driver and passenger sides

Obviously drivers side has actuators to control side bolsters and lumbar support. Doesn't mean you couldn't put in a drivers side seat back on to the passenger side if you wanted. Would just need another control box and loom.

Seat back material has a rod at the bottom. Thread back through the vinyl

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:48 pm 
Group N

Rubber tubes, metal rods and long metal rod which loops around are removed to be able to wash the covers.

Time to clean. Honestly, the covers were absolutely filthy.

And in to the washing machine

After washing and drying on the line, the seat covers came out amazing! Previously you couldn't even see the pattern there was so much dirt embedded.

Time to reassemble the seat.

Use one of the rods to pull through the rubber tubes

Seat back material ready for reassembly

Attach the foam

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:48 pm 
Group N

Put material over foam and frame

Position material around the headrest adjustment

Manipulate the material in and around the foam

Reuse the hog pins

Once the seat back is finished, should look like this

Seat base is a little more fun. The rods are embedded in the foam with gauze. Commonly the gauze will disintegrate. Do you best to not rip the rods straight out.

Seat base:

as you can see, the guaze can break apart easily. Base material has rods as does the base foam. Both rods are joined together with hog pins

Fit material over the foam. Attach the rods between the material and foam together with the hog pins. Tip, rotate the sharp edges of the hog pins down to prevent sharp objects pointing up in to your bum. Read for the frame

Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next