www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:45 am

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:40 am 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Hey guys,

My car has been on quite a diet and mainly because the battery and aircon has gone from the front the car now is higher at the front than the rear.

All the lowering spring kits i've seen are the same size drop all the way around which should still mean the nose will be higher than the rear no?

Anyway because i use it as a daily drive i dont want to go coilovers as i want to keep the ride as comfortable as possible.

The TRD spring kits are roughly £250 from Fensport but i've found another company who can supply just the Front TRD springs for only £50!

The springs are a 25mm drop which i would say is roughly how much higher the car is now, so these 'should' bring the nose back down to roughly just below stock height.

Is there any issues with keeping stock rear springs and just lowering the front?

I'll also be fitting a Whiteline adjustable rear roll bar at the same time, so i should be able to stiffen up the rear a little and i do prefer the drive of a 205 thats been setup for oversteer.

I know i'll have to get the geo redone to get everything aligned but i cant see any real issues. But no harm in double checking :)

Cheers guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:37 pm 
Clubman

Just to answer my own question in case others read this thread with the same question -

Yes you can just lower the front or the back but it all depends on the type of car (FWD/RWD or AWD), the weight distribution and the spring rate.

After a few calculation i decided that in my case it would be better to lower the whole car rather than just the front. But if you had a GT4 which you have removed the AC and moved the battery to the boot (thus making the nose higher than the rear) you can just lower the front with the TRD front spring kit (you dont have to buy a whole set, they sell the fronts seperatly) to bring the nose back down to just below stock height.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:37 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
If you have only removed the battery and aircon from the front of the car I'd be very surprised if that makes a noticeable difference to the front ride height. Carrying a passenger in the front seat would make more of a difference. Also, the weight difference between a small and large driver would have a similar effect.

I would leave the suspension as it is, or if you are determined to go for the TRD springs then change all four springs to keep the spring rates balanced.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:57 pm 
Clubman

From the front i've removed AC/Water Bottle/Sound deadening/Head Shields/Cat/Wing Air Box. But its the AC and Battery that made the biggest difference.

Front was deffo higher, but luckly i've now since removed enough from the back too. So its roughly an equal gap all round now which is at least 55mm on all 4 corners from tyre to arch. But i've got 25mm TRD lowering springs going on this week, so should help bring it down.