www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:44 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:24 am 
New Poster

Car Model: None
This is the topic related to
Engine rebuild now done right: http://gt4dc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880

This post is to show what can happen to an engine rebuild and how the customer is allways the one who has to pay for it. It is meant to maybe prevent someone else to face the same problems i had to face.

Ok now here we go:

first i would like to point out something for everyone who is planing to do a rebuild:

If you do want to rebuild your engine use only one tuner or company ! Or if you have to work together with more then one tuner... get every delivered part checked by a technical expert!

The thing is company a will otherwise accuse company b and the other way around. This means you could end up with a damaged engine and still have paid the full price for it. Believe it i went through it!!!

It all went well until we realised during a TD06 Turbo Upgrade that the engine seems to suffer from some slight problem. (If you ever encounter a problem like this: get it checked straight away!!)

When we examined the engine we found out that some cylinderwalls had slight scratches. But big enough that just honing and fittig bigger pistonrings was not possible (especially with the plan in mind to raise the pressure)

After reading a lot about the problems between cyinder 2 and 3 when boring out the block i decided to fit Chrome Moly ductile sleeves by CHrisK. Then i questioned myself why only stay near stock when i have to spent so much money. so we went for the full range: CP Pistons with ceramic top coating, Pauter conrods, Carbon clutch...

We nearly spent 1 year resourcing all the best parts which could be used.

Further more i decided to send my cylinder head with the new JUN Camshafts to ChrisK to get a full street port job with shimless buckets, titanium retainers...

It took a while but finally we received all the parts and the midified head beside a new Garrett GT35R Turbo.

Then it was my decision where to get the job of putting all together done. I wanted to get to ex TTE Mr Breuer. But he adviced me to not travel the long way to him as a good engine builder could easily do this job.

I found a company in Germany ehich saved me 300km but finally cost me my engine :( Even that they had 35 years of motorsport tuning experience especially in tuning a 3SGTE engine they kind of messed up.

Here are some pics before i explain what happened.

Last edited by Snakeloa on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:55 pm 
Junior WRC

am i missing something ?

project six million dollar 185, faster, stronger, lighter than before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:54 pm 
New Poster

I go on from here:

Well i got a bit suspicious and requested detailed pics as i live 500km away.

That is what we found out:
1) They roughly sprayed the block red... as well as my oil and water ways :(

2) They did not interlog the sleeves they pressed them in leaving a big space in between them!!! :evil:

3) at the oilpan the used to much of the sealant (no pic)

You think oh my god! Right? It gets much worse!!!

4) The camshafts which seemd to be fine are all sudennly bent. No one wants to be responsible. I get suggested to get them straightened. Ok.

5) As they try to put the camshafts back in, suddenly the cylinderhead is out of tollerance. I get told it was roughly honed on the top end!!! ChrisK said no he just cleaned it with scotch brite. No machining at all. I get told the clearances are now to tight....

After some words ChrisK said to me that the figures for the clearance are just fine (they should be in between 0,0025-0,062mm) . These are our measurements now: camshaft clearance between 0,03mm and 0,04mm. seems ok so far?!?

6) We get a technical expert to check all this. He assures the problems explained above are real and further more that the straightened camshafts are still bent and dangerous!

7) now i get told that the valve clearance is to tight! (maybe because of the bent camshafts?) Anyway we will have to remeasure it all over again when i received the new camshafts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:42 pm 
New Poster

Updated